The mornings on school days seem to be a period of constant motion or should I say, commotion. It takes a lot of multi-tasking to ready twin 4 year olds and a baby for the 3 mile trek to preschool. Packing lunches, making sure the boys have clean underwear on, mashing bananas for Brady's morning oatmeal, and all the while throwing myself together in such a way that I don't appear to be a stay at home mom gone wild! We're busy and before I know it we're out the door as I eagerly await the quiet day of one on one time with Brady.
After jumping in the truck, my mind begins to race. Did the boys go to the bathroom before we left? Did I put the fruit cup in Caleb's lunch box or Mason's...because Mason doesn't like those? If I run a quick errand after I drop the boys off, will Brady fall asleep in the car and ruin his naptime later? Should I get stamps today or call Michael and ask him to pick some up on his way home? The list goes on. But, I also try to make the trip to school another opportunity for good communication and teaching moments with the boys.
Today I decided to tell them about our Presidential election. We have already been talking about voting for things and they've even been holding their own mock voting at school. Anyway, this morning in the car I began telling the boys about the historic and monumental decision that was made last night. I told them that the people in our country decided to vote for Obama to be their next President, the person who leads our country. Being a Christian and having quite a few differing beliefs from Obama, I must admit that I am fearful for the direction that our country is heading. Don't get me wrong. I am happy to see someone in the White House that has brown skin. I am happy that this is yet another symbol of how far we have come as a country and as a people. However, I am not happy that this man stands against some of the Christian morals and values that I hold so dear. So...as we are driving I say, "The most exciting thing about this election is that President Obama's skin doesn't look like yours or Daddy's. His skin is darker and a long time ago, people who had dark skin couldn't become the president. God created all people to be and look different from one another. He created us all in a special way and He wants to use everybody to do special things for God." I couldn't leave it at that, though. I said, "President Obama is now going to be President because God allowed the people to vote that way. But, we need to be praying for President Obama because he doesn't always make the same choices we would make. We need to pray that he will make good and wise choices." From the back seat I hear, "Yeah." I also hear, "President Bama needs us to pray for him." Good, I thought, they get it! Isn't this wonderful? I quickly changed subjects (as you recall my mind races in car!).
I said, "Boys, I brought your Thanksgiving presents today for you to give to your teachers when you get to school. We are giving them a present to show that we are thankful for all that they do for you." Then I further instructed, "When you get to school I will hand you the presents. What do you need to say when you give the present to your teacher?"
My sweet Mason said from the back, "We'll say, 'Happy President!"
Okay...I must have switched gears and conversations too quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment