Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Adoption Talk


Okay, when Brady was a newborn I got comments and questions everywhere I went. Is he adopted? What race is he? Where did you get him? How much did he cost? Are you going to tell him he's adopted? (That one is personally my favorite question...I have to hold back the sarcasm! I mean, aside from the fact that his skin is darker, his eyes are darker and he looks nothing like us...I'm standing with Brady's five year old twin older brothers...I think they'll remember that Mommy's tummy never grew with this addition!) The list of questions could go on and on and really, I find them humorous and I don't take offense to curiosity for the most part. I love opportunities to educate others and show my children the beauty of how God built our family.

I can't even remember the last time that a stranger asked me a question that I found offensive until last week. Well, the question itself wasn't offensive...it was her "look." The saleslady in a local department store kept staring at me and then Brady and then me and then Brady. She got this weird expression on her face. She curled her upper lip up and scrunched her eyebrows together really oddly before raising them. Then in the strangest tone that will never do justice unless you heard it she asked, "Is he yours?" I smiled brightly and answered, "Yes, he is!" She got this strange look that I can't even begin to explain. Then, after about twenty seconds of looking oddly at the two of us she said with her face all contorted in an almost condescending tone, "Does he look like his dad then?" I was so proud of my quick wit! I said cheerfully, "He looks like his birthfather!" I smiled at her obvious confusion and let her chew on that for awhile while I walked away! :)

4 comments:

Medcalf Crew said...

Good for you! I don't comment often on your blog but I do read it faithfully. Take care!

love,
Carri

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

I can't believe that! It's good that you stood up for him- especially since he was standing right there!

Deb said...

Great comment!
I don't always answer the way I might want to I do make sure it's always with a smile hoping to show them how proud I am of my beautiful blessing.

Kimmy said...

hey - nice family photo! I think I know your photographer... ha!

Love this post... people do not think before they speak - do they. (I ALWAYS do.... ha!) This is such good insight... and I love that your stood on Mother's Day...

~ kim