Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day and Church

I will admit...there were many years that I dreaded going to church on Mother's Day. At first it was because I longed to be a mother and despite our efforts, it wasn't happening. Watching all of the mother's recieve a flower when they came through the door or remaining in my seat while other glowing moms stood to be recognized was painful for me. It was a reminder of what I wanted so dearly.

After the twins were born, I still could not stand. I was finally a "mother" and gloriously happy about it. But as I went to church on each Mother's Day Sunday, I couldn't help but look around the room and see friends who I knew were still hurting like I once was. I'd see the face of my friend who had been trying for five years. I'd see the face of another friend who lost three babies. I'd see the face of a friend who had undergone several infertility treatments and still was without child. I couldn't stand because all of a sudden I didn't feel like I needed to be recognized publicly for a job that God graciously bestowed upon me.

Last Mother's Day that changed. I stood for the first time ever. Brady was just shy of two months old and I had a revelation in my heart. I must stand. Brady's birthmother chose me to parent and love Brady. I stood because I would honor his birthmother's sacrifice by doing so. This year, it was the same. I stood, thought of Brady's birthmom, and silently gave thanks for her love for our child.

We are at a new church this year. I wasn't sure how the whole Mother's Day thing would unfold during the service. The neatest thing happened. Our pastor to families prayed a prayer that I was so grateful for. He prayed for each of the mothers in the congregation. He prayed for their health, stamina, wisdom, etc. Then, he prayed for all of the women in the congregation who became mothers through the miracle of adoption. He thanked God for the birthmothers. He thanked God for the adoptive mothers who lovingly parent children that came to them in such a special way. Next, he prayed for all of the women who long to be mothers and are still waiting for God's plan to unfold for them. He prayed that they would have direction and hope and comfort. Afterwards, he prayed for the mothers in the congregation who have lost children. He prayed for their hurting hearts and peace to wash over them. Lastly, he prayed for those that have lost their mothers and recognized that all of these situations bring pain for some on this very special day.

For the first time in my life, I sat in it a church with a pastor who "got it." Someone who recognized that God's precious women are all in different stages of their journey of life. I was so appreciative, I went to this pastor after the service to personally thank him for his compassion. Today, I was blessed.

(I have to include that my boys did a great job making special gifts and cards for me. My hubby has been the picture of sweetness with my beautiful flowers and thoughtful gifts and servant heart. Honey, if you are reading this...I love you! I love sharing my life with you and I am grateful that together we are the parents of three beautiful boys!)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

That is great Kelly, thanks for letting me know! I'm sure your heart just welled with pride!!

Happy Mother's Day to you!!!