Wednesday, December 3, 2008

On the Move...

Michael's parents (Grammy and Colonel) bought the boys bikes for their birthday!
Mason likes to pedal as fast as he can...he is on a Speed Racer bike!
Caleb's trying out his new wheels
Click to play Brady on the go!
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook
You'll need to do two things...turn my music from the sidebar on mute and then click the right arrow when you get to the scrapbook. From there you can click "play" on the screen to watch the three videos of Brady!

The boys and I spent the afternoon yesterday at a beautiful park nearby. The sun had just slid beneath the horizon and as I watched the silhouettes of Mason and Caleb riding off on their bikes in front of me, it hit. I'm not sure what it is exactly about dusk, but it puts me in a reflective mood, almost melancholy. How has time passed so quickly? My eyes filled with tears as I watched them; for I realize that this life is but a vapor. I wish that I could have captured that moment in time. They are no longer babies. They are no longer toddlers. They are stick carrying, insect hunting, bicycle riding...boys.

And my "baby?" He, too, is changing before my eyes. I can't stop the clock. This past week has been full of the milestones that you long for and anticipate. Brady got his third tooth, began eating textured table foods, starting standing for long periods of time, and is now on the move. He is crawling all over (if the boys toy room wasn't motivation enough, the twinkling lights and sparkling ornaments on the Christmas tree certainly is)! So exciting, yet unbelievably sobering. My time with them is so short.

It reminds me of a book I received on the day we adopted Brady. (Thank you, Blythe!) It's called "Let Me Hold You Longer" by Karen Kingsbury, who happens to not only have autographed and written a personal message in my book thanks to Blythe, but also happens to be my favorite author. If you haven't read it...you must. You absolutely must. It is a children's book that makes me want to lay on the floor and weep just thinking about it! :) So many people, including myself, focus on all of the "firsts" in our children's lives. We journal about them. We write them on the calendar. We video them and catch them on film. First smile, first tooth, first step, etc. This book is about capturing each moment that could be our "lasts." Do we savor the last time we fed our baby a bottle? The last time they woke us crying? The last time they wanted to cuddle with you? The last time they wanted to be tucked in? The book sequences through the childhood lasts and adolescent lasts...reminding the reader that each moment is special, to savor each moment.

So here I am...watching my boys grow up too quickly before my eyes. I have twins on bicycles and a baby close to walking. I pray I will savor these moments. I've included a few videos and photos for you to savor them with me!

1 comment:

Medcalf Crew said...

I'll have to look up that book. Just the thought of it makes me cry because it hits so close to home...

Carri