Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Karate Mom???





When I realized that God made me a mother to boys, I imagined years ahead of basketball jerseys or football helmets or soccer cleats. I imagined sitting on the sidelines and cheering my little heart out waiting for my little men with some sort of sports drink and a hug. Not once did I imagine myself watching my boys learn how to karate chop or kick!!!

We were invited by a school friend to come to a karate class ("Bring your Buddy to Karate Day") at a local karate gym. I wasn't sure if the boys would even like it. It was registration time for t-ball and soccer, so I decided we'd expose them to each of these activities and let them choose. They enjoyed watching soccer in the morning and were eager to join the team. In the afternoon, we went to the karate class and their smiles never left their faces. They had a ball!!! Afterwards, it was a done deal...absolutely no interest in soccer or baseball. They only have eyes for karate at the moment. So, we let the registration deadline pass for baseball and soccer and are driving from karate school to karate school in hopes that Mom will find the same sort of enthusiasm for this sport! I actually loved watching them! :) They'll be even cuter once they are in their little white uniforms!!! (Do those have a special name? I'm sure one day soon I'll know more about karate than I ever intended to!)

So, for now it's karate...maybe next year we'll encourage them to expand their horizons and if they end up being a black belt one day...I'll thank God that they sleep under my roof at night and make sure I have them with me if I'm ever walking down a dark alley!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Kelly-
We are thinking of putting Isaac in Tao Kwon Do. The description of "self discipline" really spoke to me!!

Have fun!

Kristin said...

Very cute. I have thought about Karate for Luke too. I think he's love it. Maybe we will have to go check it out :). Keep us posted on how that goes.

Kimmy said...

that's really great! We tried soccer with Hudson last spring... One word to describe it: disaster. I think we'll try piano lessons or cub scouts next... (o: I will say he did well with swim lessons...