Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Day treats!

The boys' teachers are getting bubble bath from Pier One. They really bubble. They also have lovely scents...amber vanilla and cranberry orange...yummy!
Mason had to sample our product!
We made pretzel sticks dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled them with little hearts!
Our finished product...the tag reads, "Dear Valentine, Good friends "STICK" together!" Signing their names on sixteen Valentine's was good kindergarten practice!

I love Valentine's Day. Yes, I know that we should be telling the people in our lives that we love them each and every day and show them by our actions. Yes, I know that many people believe that Valentine's Day is one big marketing ploy...but I love it anyway.

I'm not one for all of the red "stuff!" I prefer a picnic by the lake or dinner in front of the fireplace (neither of which have I done). To me Valentine's Day is a day to put thought into what you do or make or buy for the people God has placed in your life. I much prefer to make my Valentine's cards or make homemade treats. It's not about the money...it's about the thought and the heart behind it.

I am trying to convey these things to my boys who don't quite understand the significance of the day. Today we made Valentine's for our friends at their preschool. While working in the kitchen we talked about how Jesus shows love for us and how we are suppose to show love for our friends. We talked about how special it is to appreciate the people that God put into our lives. We talked about the importance of showing and telling people that they are special simply because God made them. The kids on the playground that say rude things...yep...God loves them. The boys who kick our shoes when we are standing in line...yep...God loves them. The boys on the other side of the fence that say, "Your name is Dumb-Dumb!" Yep...God loves them. The people who don't look like us...yep, He loves them. Most importantly, we talked about us...how we don't always do the right things or say the right things and yep...He loves us, too!

Cute little Mason said, "Well, then why do give presents for Valentine's Day because Jesus is the best present." Well said, Mr. Mason. Well said.

No comments: