Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Preschool Days!




Today was a great day!!! It was the first day of preschool for the twins and the first time they have ever been apart. This was a difficult decision for us to come to, but Mason has been asking us for months if he could have his own class. Caleb has been very resistant to the idea of being on his own and Mason assures me, "Mommy, I promise his teacher will take care of him." He is craving independence and I couldn't be more proud that he is wanting his own identity. Caleb is just not there yet. However, with much thought and prayer, we know we owe it to both boys to separate them and let them grow individually in their own classes.


Caleb cried every time we talked about it, so we started visiting the school a few weeks ago to prepare him and ease him into his new setting. Last Friday was "Meet the Teacher" and he hid behind my legs most of the time. I wasn't sure how today would go, but we've been talking it up and acting like this is the best thing since sliced bread! Michael and I eagerly drove them to school not knowing how the scene would unfold.


They did GREAT!!! When Mason's teachers arrived and opened the classroom door, he was the first student to walk straight in. I actually had to call him back and ask him for a hug!!! I was filled with mixed emotions...he's growing up so fast. Caleb was a little more apprehensive, but I walked into his classroom with him and asked him to find his name tag. It gave him a task to focus on and once he found it, I gave him a hug and assured him I'd be back soon. I told him that we'd go out for ice cream after school as a special treat since he was being such a big boy. No tears. No clinging to my legs like he does when we drop him off for Sunday school. Just a very nervous expression on his face. The teacher came over and walked him over to the blocks where he sat next to another boy biting his nails.


When I picked him up after school he said, "That school is great. It's my favorite. I had a great time, but they didn't bring me to the gym to play. Next time will they bring me to the gym?" The entire ride to Sonic (for ice cream...I did promise) was filled with the bubbly voices of young boys who had a great first day of school. I heard about their favorite activities (Caleb's was playing with a fire truck, Mason's was recess!), songs they sang, things they built, friends they met, and crafts they made just for me! It was music to my ears!!!


Here are some photos from today! The "totes" that they are using were given to each student by their school. They don't allow backpacks and the kids will transport their plastic totes to and from school each day. I think it's a great idea!

2 comments:

Dave and Jenni said...

Oh, Kelly, I can't believe your boys are old enough to head to school. Gosh, I remember sitting with you while you were on bedrest during your pregnancy. God is so good...all the time. Love you!

Laurie said...

Kelly-
The boys look adorable in their school pics! The totes are so cute and they have such happy smiles on their faces!

Have fun with the baby food! That is one of the things I miss doing the most with having a baby in the family!